View Single Post
Old
04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
polako

vCash: 500
I've come around on Sather. He's fine by me.

Trust me, I've followed a european football club ever since I was a little boy. The club, while possessing a wealth of resources, continues to succumb to pressure from its demanding fan base. What that means is that year after year, we have managerial changes (sometimes 3 in a year), technical director changes, and constant changes in philosophy; 'ok, we want to build around star national players, ok now we're focusing on young south american and african players that we can make a big profit on, ok now we want low cost slavs and continental europeans and young nationals, etc. Lost in the fold of all of this meaningless change is that we continue to play second fiddle to our city rivals, with similar resources, but with a more patient approach.

What I'm trying to convey is that, yes, while I think that Sather did an awful, AWFUL job in his pre-lockout days in NY, I don't think that should be factored into his job security RIGHT NOW. Since the lockout, the team has made the playoffs every year but one (thank you Henrik, Jags, and Renney). Right now, I think you have to evaluate Sather on his ability to build the farm system, resist temptation to deal young talent, trade for missing parts, and yes, even address his own mistakes.

The 2003 me would fully agree with many of you: Fire Sather. He should have been out of here for terribly mismanaging the franchise. However, I can't back that sentiment now. Contrary to popular opinion, this team has more than enough top level talent to compete. If Drury's awful contract is replaced with a legitimate $7m player (and no, that's not Brad Richards), this team becomes a Cup contender. Of course, Glen has not been able to successfully pull off the big name free agent yet (Jury's still out on Gabby)...

polako is offline   Reply With Quote