View Single Post
Old
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
If SOB challenged Bertuzzi to the second fight, than he's even stupider\more selfish than I even thought. If it's a pride thing that required him to go down without landing a punch not once, but twice, at the cost of all the momentum, then I won't miss him next season.

I have to hope that's not the case.

I've played\coached\watched hockey for 30 years. It's a pretty well-known tenet that you don't fight when you've got a decent lead. No good can come of it, regardless of how it turns out. The Red Wings needed that fight (not something one finds themself saying often) to get their heads on straight and stem the momentum away from us. We had *nothing to gain* from fighting there, and everything to lose.

With that said, we had enough opportunities to win this game, but the PP didn't come through when it mattered most. I think that if there's still a worrisome Achilles heel going into the playoffs, the PP's continued inconsistency(or consistent mediocrity) is definitely going to be it.

Lastly, I hate to say it, but Howard outplayed Rinne tonight. None of the four goals were awful, but Howard made the huge saves that normally Peks makes. When we were able to get a good chance, Howard was there, or in a lot of cases, we weren't able to get to the second chance.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling here or anything, I'm realistic -- we got a point on a day that the Stars lost and all but guaranteed that winning one of our last three will clinch a spot -- but from a philosophical\morale standpoint, this was a game that we should have won in regulation. It would have been nice to add that particular coal to the fire, cruising into the postseason. Anyone playing the "at least we got a point" card after this one is too easily placated, IMO.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote