Thread: Post-Game Talk: Montréal defeat Devils 3-1
View Single Post
Old
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I was waiting for the Pyatt conspiracy theory...it is all coincidence, he is not at factor.
It's got to where 21 games is just not a fluke. Especially since I have been talking about this stat for two months. I did not just pull it out of my hat today. I noticed this before, and it is still happening.

Also, this has nothing to do with conspiracies.

What it has to do with is simple: we have our top forwards, they play all the time, as they should. I am referring to Gomez (yes, him), Gionta, Plekanec, Cammalleri and Pacioretty. All the rest really are in competition for ice time. All have some flaw in their game, or multiple flaws. They can have good streaks but then they can go back into bad habits or their natural flaws can simply hurt us every now and then.

Whenever the coach has had the idea to sit out Tom Pyatt, it has basically been to play another bottom-6 forward over him. And the truth is that most of our bottom-6 forwards make more mistakes than they help, or their lack of speed causes danger just as much as a mistake could.

Despite not scoring very much this year, it seems from the stats that sitting Pyatt out and playing other bottom-6 guys more works out less often than sitting out some other guy. By far. Not even close.

And watching the games, I think I see why Pyatt is useful. Even a guy like Pierre Maguire has picked this up recently on a TSN broadcast.

Bottom line: 34-18-6 versus 8-12-1!!

In the face of this kind of highly significant fact statistically, I think it is those who are constantly writing up lineups and rosters replacing Pyatt with minor-leaguers or waiver-wire fodder who should have to justify their hate with a bit more depth than they have been doing.

Oh, and by the way, if Travis Moen could hit an empty net once in a while, Pyatt would have many more points, and we would not even be having this discussion.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote