View Single Post
Old
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
jniklast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There have been goons that could play and there have been goons that could not.
Someone like Brashear was a decent player for a while--not by the time we got him but...just look up his stats on Hockey data base. There was a time he could play. Boogaard has never been much of a player. OTOH Boogaard's being in the lineup raises the comfort level of the team at least a little. Keep in mind that Gaborik probably had at least something to do with Boogaard's becoming a Ranger. There's really no way of calculating how comfort level leads to wins.

The Rangers do have a problem--Lundqvist getting run. Whether running the other side's goalie or not is more than just a partial solution. Prust is willing but a lot of times he's in over his head. Personally I don't want to see him throwing them with someone like Eric Godard or a Steve McIntyre who could put him into the hospital. He survives mismatches because he's very good at what he does but there is a point where someone might be just too big or tough for him.

The better players who can fight like Lucic and Clowe really aren't heavyweights either.

Not sure what the Rangers can do about it. Only so much I'd invest in it. For now we have an injured Boogaard. Even if healthy not a good option going into the playoffs. I will say this the team that won in '94 was really tough and really skilled and the teams that came before them as well. The toughness end had guys like Kocur, Domi, Beukeboom, Kypreos, Graves, Kris King, Wells, Messier. They could be very dirty as well. The Rangers today are moving more in the skill direction. They need more of that but they need to balance it with more toughness.
I really don't see how one heavyweight fighting another protects any goalie from being run?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote