Thread: Speculation: 2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1
View Single Post
Old
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
First off, assume anything I say in regards to the Stars future is contingent upon Brad Richards plying his trade elsewhere next season. I'm assuming that's the case, and at this point my stance is that, new owner or not, this team is better off rounding out the roster with Richards' salary. Which brings me to...

Trading a veteran may be necessary at some point, but realistically the only three around are Morrow, Ribeiro, and Robidas. I consider Robidas the most tradable of the three. I was hard on Morrow early in the season but he has really come back to show he can be close to what he was pre-injury of two seasons ago. He's the captain, etc. He also has chemistry and feels most comfortable on the ice with Ribeiro. IMO if you keep Morrow you keep Ribeiro. Working under the assumption that Brad is gone trading Ribeiro would be the height of idiocy. I see absolutely no point to it, especially given the fact that he's been one of the Stars' best players down the stretch.

Of the three, Robidas becomes the de facto odd man out, but that's only if you're intent on making a trade to change the complexion of things as well as bring in a new (possibly younger) body. I agree with Glu that Robidas is being overextended. The version of Robidas you would get on your second pairing as opposed to the first is significant.

To round out the roster (specifically the D-corps) and get to the cap floor I suggest going after one or both of Eric Brewer and Jan Hejda. Guys like Babchuk and Bieksa may also be of use and worth exploring. This D-corps has it's small guys for now, we need some snarl on the blueline, somebody who will whipe a mofo out in the crease if need be. Even a Shane O'Brien type for depth wouldn't be a bad idea.