View Single Post
Old
04-05-2011, 05:57 AM
enixer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
Sundin's the only Leaf in recent memory who's even CLOSE to achieving such status ? Are we taking about horseshoes and hand grenades here ? You don't honour a player simply because he's the best that we had at the time. Honestly, It's embarising to look up at the rafters of the Montreal Forum and see players such as Morenz, Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur hanging there, while the best we have to display is Sundin. Whats wrong with just waiting utill we finally have someone who is truely worthy ?
I think you missed Modo's argument.
I believe his point was that we won't be running out of numbers by retiring #13, because no other player in recent memory is worthy of having their number retired, and therefore we wouldn't retire any other number.
His point was not that we would simply be choosing the best of what's been around lately.
Not sure what you have to be embarrassed about, although I do recognize the tendency to overvalue players from the past.
Sundin's #13 would certainly be my choice for the third number to be retired by the Leafs.