View Single Post
Old
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Eh... the criticisms people are leveling at Gilroy are mostly accurate BUT, I do think there is some selling short of how different the game will be for him on the wing than on the blue line; we literally could see a different Gilroy. No, his skill set isn't going to change, but there's a certain mental freedom that comes with being a winger that a defenseman never really gets to enjoy. I know it doesn't compare, but I played college hockey and began as a winger (which I had been my whole life) and transitioned to D half way through my sophomore year and stayed there and it was a different world. If Gilroy frees himself up to play a little, he could be a very effective third line forward, IMO.

Of course, like most of you and with good reason, I've very near given up on Gilroy and don't care if he's brought back next year at all, but I do see a small chance that Gilroy could be more effective as a winger than he's ever been on the blue line. Honestly, I've always thought the wing was where he belonged so now that he's going to get a cup of coffee there, I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how it plays out.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote