View Single Post
Old
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
MLS could definitely do Nashville. The large hispanic community would likely be enough to support it. Also MLS operates as one entire league rather than individual teams, so that helps too. It makes more sense than Lacrosse, and MLB is way down the road if ever. NBA is likely never a possibility and that's just fine with me.

BTW, is it today that new designs for a downtown ballpark are being submitted?
The bolded is a common misconception. Most immigrants from Latin America - especially Mexico - support teams back home, and they maintain those loyalties after they leave. Jorge Vergara found that out when he tried to capitalize on the enormous Latin American population in LA through Chivas USA, which hasn't hit the league average since its inaugural campaign.

Plans weren't submitted for a new ballpark today, but some architecture students from UTK did present a concept they put together at the Civic Design Center, wherever that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Would the MLS team just use the Titans stadium?

What is the average attendance of MLS matches?
The average MLS team drew about 16,500 in 2010. The high-end teams draw 20k+. Seattle drew north of 36k, which is more than all but the elite of European clubs.

I don't really see MLS working at LP Field. They would have to routinely draw that 29k to avoid becoming the next New England Revolution (who play in Gillette Stadium to crowds of 12k and change). A new venue would likely have to be constructed. The only real issue is finding a good spot, because cost shouldn't be an issue. No soccer-specific stadium has cost more than $200M to construct.

There's still the matter of the $40M franchise fee, though. MLS is hardly averse to consortium ownership, so I guess that shouldn't be too hard to raise, but it could also make Division II a more attractive option because of lower operating costs and more relaxed venue demands. Four current or future MLS clubs (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and Montreal) have spent time in the trenches in the various D2 leagues that have been around over the years. We would also have a regional rival in Atlanta that we wouldn't have in MLS (the closest top flight club is Columbus, 400 miles away).

Whatever happens, I'd just like to see Nashville get its summer sports in line with the fall and winter sports. The Predators are heading in the right direction economically and have a great venue, and the Titans are the Titans. Giving the Sounds the new ballpark they desperately need and bringing in a fourth sport would really raise the profile of Nashville as a sports city.