View Single Post
Old
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I have a little tip that I learned from my coach in practice...

When the puck is whipping around the boards, you can catch it by putting your butt to the boards with your heel of the foot (farthest from the puck) tight against the boards, toe pointing outwards, with the other foot ahead out of the way. The puck hits the inside of back skate and ricochets right onto your stick! It's a pretty cool trick, I don't know how practical it is.
It's very practical, this is definitely the most common way to deal with a puck coming up the boards as a winger trying to break out (i.e. when you're at the boards roughly around the hash marks, and your dman rifles the puck up the boards to you trying to start a breakout). Ideally your dman should be looking to make a tape to tape pass instead, but sometimes they put it up the boards, in which case you're forced to do this. Make sure to stay real tight to the boards so there's no space for the puck to slip through, while also being ready for any weird bounces that may cause the puck to leave the boards, cause if you fail to stop the puck you're often giving the opposing dman an open point shot, something I've had happen to me way too many times!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote