Old
04-07-2011, 12:29 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Except for this whole entire season.
... It's cool if you want to overrate him, I get it. But there's no way in hell he was the best player on the team this season, or even the best forward. I said in my post that he's been a good player this year. He's been no more valuable to the Kings than Stoll or Brown has been.

Quote:
Kopitar DOES have more skill, but having more skill doesn't automatically make a player better than another. Alexander Daigle had a TON of skill.
... In this case, however, it's clear Kopitar is the better player. Honestly, it's silly to argue this. Kopitar is a better player offensively, and he's better defensively. Kopitar is a better shooter, and a better passer, and a better stickhandler.

Quote:
First, you talk about Williams being responsible defensively and being the third guy high when he needed to be like its a bad thing.
... No, what I actually said was Williams was the beneficiary of having centers like Stoll and Kopitar who are more responsible defensively and able to cover for Williams. On top of that, Stoll was winning draws pretty consistently and ensuring that the line would have possession of the puck, and that more than anything was the reason for the hot start that the Smyth-Stoll-Williams line got off to. If the other team doesn't have the puck, they can't score or put pressure on the defense.

Quote:
The last thing I thought I would EVER hear when somebody is discussing Williams' play this year was to call him "inconsistent." He has been the MOST consistent this year for shift to shift, if you can't see that then I do not know what to tell you.
... That's strange because I and several others have been calling this out all season long, actually. Williams is the definition of the hit-or-miss player. He can go out and make a great pass that leads to a goal, or score a goal himself, and then in his very next shift turn the puck over, leading to a goal or a good chance against. And, the thing is - you don't have to take my word for it. Look at his giveaway numbers; they're right there in black and white. Again, I'm not saying he's been a bad player. But he has been the definition of inconsistent.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way he CREATES for his linemates he doesn't need players to create for him.
... Well, if that's the case, I'd like to see it. It's been the other way around FAR more often than not.

Quote:
We could sit here and talk about Kopitar being lazy and reaching for pucks instead of skating for them, or Kopitar being soft, or Kopitar really just bringing the power play to a complete stand still most of the time.. But we won't do that.
... Hahaha, I love quotes like "but we won't do that" right after you just did. And, I'm not going to go into all of this silly **** about Kopitar's perceived flaws, because the simple fact of the matter is that Kopitar has undoubtedly produced more tangible and positive results than Williams has - and it isn't close. Kopitar isn't 100% perfect as a player, but he's certainly the best the Kings have and he's top ten at his position in the NHL - arguably he's top five. Can you say that Williams is a top ten winger in the league? Of course not.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote