View Single Post
Old
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
THAT is simply just false, IMO. Stoll is very valuable and so is Brown at times, but Justin Williams has been the guy night in night out (when he was in the line up.)
... Sure, Williams has one more point than Brown does and 15 more points than Stoll. But Stoll and Brown are better defensively, and they're more versatile in that they play more physical and contribute on the PK. In Stoll's case, of course there's also faceoff ability to consider, as well as the fact that Stoll will block shots (he's third among forwards, behind Handzus and Kopitar).

Quote:
all I'm saying is is that THIS YEAR, if you ask me to throw Williams or Kopitar over the boards.. I'm throwing Williams on the ice
... Let's say we were two coaches competing against one another, and we both had a choice of Kopitar or Williams. If you're throwing Williams out there, I'm breathing a sigh of relief and sending out Kopitar. And I'll beat you just about every day of the week.

Quote:
I misread your original post about the third guy high. However, I'm almost positive you pulled it out of thin air that "Stoll covers for Williams' mistakes." As if Williams makes them so frequently that he has to be there all the time.
... Now you're putting words in my mouth. I said Stoll is usually the guy who covers for his linemates defensively, and he is. Stoll, as well as Kopitar, are simply better defensive players. Both of them have more takeaways than giveaways, they turn the puck over far less often than Williams does, and they're more versatile. Again, this shouldn't even be a subject of debate. If Williams was a good defensive player, he would be used in more situations. He's decent defensively, no more.

Quote:
Michal Handzus has less giveaways than Anze Kopitar. THAT means Handzus has been more consistent than Kopitar, right?
... If you say so!

Quote:
I'm not bashing Kopitar, Kopitar is awesome. I think the point here is that you think "Justin Williams is an okay player" whereas the reality is Justin Williams has actually been a very very good player for us.
... Again, this is you putting words into my mouth. What I actually said was that Williams is a good player. He's quite good offensively, he's decent enough defensively. He brings a different look to the lines he plays on. I don't think he's the second best forward on the team, but whatever - I don't like to do it that way anyway. He's a top six forward, there's no question about that. I'm not going to get into the fanboy stuff you wrote; I think you're overrating him, but I can agree to disagree here. If he comes back for the playoffs, and he's not just running 75-80% out there, he will help the team. If he can't come back at 100% or close to it, I'd rather him take the time off and get healthy because he's been signed to a multi-year deal (a questionable move for a guy who doesn't play full seasons anymore) and I'd like to see him have a reasonable chance to play in 70+ games next season and the seasons after that.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote