View Single Post
Old
04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
interesting with Chase, I wish him the best of luck....can he crack that line up next year? Portland is pretty scary deep..
Its going to be hard for anyone to crack the hawks roster next year. Should only be 4-5 spots opening up overall. I know a lot of CHL teams sign players just to get them committed so i'm hoping that isn't the case here. I think the hawks see him as a player of the future and me might make the roster based on potential (similar to Josh Hanson this year).

That said, he could certainly play his way onto next years team (he's even listed on the roster for tonights playoff game, who knows if he'll play). In camp he was playing well above the level whats expected for a 15 year old. Hard for me to remember back but I remember him playing as well or better than some players we felt would be sure to make the team this year.

Portland will be a good place for him as a smaller player. Its conventional wisdom that the lifting programs of the NCAA benefit smaller players but the hawks have good facilities and a great strength and conditioning coach (Rich Campbell). In situations like this, I always hope the player is making the choice that will benefit them the most. I'm a WHL fan for sure but having the NCAA as a viable option is very important to me. The more choices the better as far as i'm concerned.

ps. thinking about it now, the players on the hawks protected list who are not on the roster currently would still probably win more WHL games than the hawks 3-4 years ago.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote