View Single Post
Old
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Nah. The thing is, while guys are often old and decrepit, they're under no illusions about it. The guys in beer league hockey aren't there because they're deluding themselves that their career isn't over, they're out there to have fun playing a game they love. It's usually a very fun atmosphere, apart from the occasional team that takes it too seriously. Every league has a few of 'those guys', but they're few and far between, and the Bantam A all stars usually mature and learn. Sometimes they go to the team that takes everything too seriously.

But people are there to have fun, and to have beer with the guys after the game.
Yeah, this has definitely been my experience. Mostly great guys, the odd ******, but obviously on the internet you're not gonna have people starting threads along the lines of "my league has tonnes of awesome guys and I have a great time," you're gonna hear about the odd bad experience that people have. Reading a forum is like watching the news - on the news all you hear about are the rapes, murders, wars, etc., but for most of us life is not like that. You will hear some beer league horror stories and general kvetching on forums, but for most of us beer league is awesome the vast majority of the time.

Beer leagues cost around $600-700 for a season (and another $300-400 for the summer, if you play then too), are generally way out in the middle of nowhere, and often have games that end at like midnight on a weeknight, but guys still flock to them like mad, that should really tell you all you need to know about how fun they are. Most participants love beer leagues, I think it's safe to assume that it's a highlight of the week for the vast majority of players.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote