View Single Post
Old
04-08-2011, 09:48 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
How is that curious? Young players obviously have more potential to develop. Butler is just starting to touch his potential, Shannon has had his chances and we've seen what he can (can't) do. You keep saying Shannon can produce, he deserves a spot, yet you're showing us the best he's got can be matched by an undrafted FA college rookie.

Should Shannon not be able to produce more than a kid who needed time to adjust to the league?

I don't want to be the downer here, and I'm going to preface this by saying that I like Butler's game a lot more than Shannon's... but Butler is turning 25 this month. Shannon is 27. If we're comparing those two players on a "how much potential they have that we haven't seen" scale, they're closer than you might think.

Obviously Butler still has some growth left in him (developmentally, I mean) and is the better player of the two, but I'm a little worried that some people in our fanbase are expecting Butler to have this huge developmental curve in the near future. I just hope people aren't disappointed... Butler is probably good for 20-25 goals in a year, max. His ceiling isn't as high as some fans think. It's unrealistic to expect that a 24-25 year old rookie has this whole other level that he can get to. He'll learn to read NHL defencemen better, and for sure he's going to get more comfortable in the NHL as his career continues, but the skill level you see now is pretty much it.

Still love watching him out there though, and the goal last night was a beauty, for sure.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote