View Single Post
Old
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Hank Scorpio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Can't sign Wiz, Subban has shown he will do his job for much cheaper next season and the space will be needed for Subban's next contract the following season, I don't see it working without it hurting the next Subban contract. I'm saying this based on keeping Markov around too, that's a no brainer to me.
I don't think it's impossible to resign him and fit our other up coming free agents this season and next but it's very situational (assuming the club resigns Markov of course).

The fact of the matter is, over the next two seasons, the players due for a raise include not just Subban and Wizniewski but Price, Eller, Pacioretty, and Gorges. I imagine, should they sign Markov and Kostitsyn, it will be for around the same money they are already making. The only player I see taking less money then they are already making is Gill and Hamrlik if they resign him. The only player I think definitely will not be returning after their contract is up is Spacek at the end of next season. We also hit that point where Gomez starts getting paid at almost a reasonable amount but it remains to be seen if he will be traded and I highly doubt he will be demoted.

Regarding Wizniewski, it all comes down too the usual issues with contracts: how much and how long. Looking at the players who are due for a raise, Wizniewski is our lowest priority (in my opinion). Signing him for market value (around 4.5mil) for a decent term will not happen. With that being said, I don't see the dollar value as being a sticking point for Wizniewski but given all the bouncing around he's done lately I'm willing to bet he wants to sign somewhere where he'll be staying for a while. If he'd be willing to sign a one year deal with a 'lets see how things play out' outlook it may be doable but there's too much uncertainty going forward to sign him long term now.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote