04-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northington View Post
Respectfully I disagree.
You need 180-200 mins in the gym, max.

The most important thing (or one of them) is RECOVERY and rest.
4-5 days is too much.
3-4 is better with ideally 48 hours of rest in between.

Many people overtrain with too much volume and not enough rest.
I think if you do 3-4 days, it's just right because you get time to recover.

Also, if you want to bulk, you want hypertrophy, which is 8-15 reps (but 10-12 is best).

So:
3-4 workouts per week
60 mins max
3-4 sets
8-15 (10-12) reps
Go to failure ONLY on last set per exercise
Get a forced rep ONLY ONCE per workout/week

MANY MANY MANY people make the mistake of overtraining, which unless you are advanced, 5 days is.
I don't know, I don't follow any of what you say. I used to, but found out much of it just doesn't apply to me. I think everyone should find what works for them. For example, I can train up to 10 times a week, or as low as 3, it depends on what I'm going for and what goals I have for the moment. For reps, I might do 8 to 12 on some assistance exercises or when I'm in between training cycles, but I never go to failure because I've found it's the most counterproductive thing you can do. I think I used to mistake straining with going to failure. It's very good to strain, but I don't think it's good at all to go to failure. Sometimes, I'll go 15-25 reps for tendon work or GPP, for dips or whatever. I found doing 100 reps of dips and chin/pull ups 2x a week was amazing for hypertrophy.

For my training days in general, I'll do most of my work with deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, presses OR bench presses and squats OR front squats depending on my injuries or training goals. I'll do lots of sets of each. But If I can do 5 reps at 300lbs for example on the squat, I might do 10 sets of 3 with lots of rest in between sets instead to get more volume in, keep technique good, reduce soreness (from never going to failure) and maintain speed through the sets. I also like to do a lot of core work and strengthning my weak spots like my lower back.

So I could do for one workout something like:
Front squats 7 sets of 5
Reverse hypers (tons of reps)
Russian twists + planks

Or I could do without the core work and add in some deadlifts before the hypers. For recovery, I found finding the proper variation of reps, sets and loads can make you train as much as you want. I like pulling sleds and doing high rep work as well. I do soft tissue work and lots of stretching, and always ice my back and shoulders after a workout. I fill my post-workout shakes with goodies, take omega 3s before sleeping and try to get a few days of 10-12 hour sleep every week. I keep stress low if possible as well, or if its high, I reduce training stress. All of this makes it that I'm never sore. Now, I just need to give myself a break at some point to heal up some injuries from past mistakes.