View Single Post
Old
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
McIlrath isn't even in the same galaxy as Sauer as far as positioning and decisionmaking. Sauer's hockey IQ is off the charts. If McIlrath becomes even half as smart a player as Sauer is, then he'll be of use.
Sauer played 3 years in the AHL and is 5 years older than McIlrath. That would be like saying someone who is working in the professional world for 2 years is smarter than a high school senior, i think it's obvious.

Which brings me to my next point. McIlrath has had a strong, positive season. He was a top pairing defensemen on Moose Jaw. It's very hard to compare sauer to him when sauer has been playing professional hockey for 4 seasons.

If you compare their first full season in the WHL, Sauer had 8 more points and 3 more goals. He also had 68 PIM's to McIlraths 153. I think McIlrath has actually impressed more than Sauer did in his first season in the WHL.

Still, McIlrath is nowhere near his full development and time will only tell what he becomes. I think it's extremely hard to compare these two players right now though. Sauer IMO is not the type of defensemen that McIlrath is.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote