View Single Post
Old
04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
So finally, some information on Frank Fredrickson's intangibles. It's taken me a while to put this together because I wanted to research the subject thoroughly, so here is what I've got:

Dreakmur started me down this road with a couple of quotes from a book called One Hundred and One Years of Hockey. The quotes follow:

From the caption of a picture of Fredrickson:

Quote:
"Frank Fredrickson was an accomplished defensive forward who, in a Stanley Cup finals of 1924-25, drew the role of checking the great Morenz. He did, too, and the Victoria Cougars triumphed 3 games to 1."
From the story text (presumably the book is a historical narrative. I dunno, as I don't own it):

Quote:
"In his great days with the Canadiens, Morenz ws almost impossible to stop. Lester Patrick thought he had the answer in the Stanley Cup final of 1925 when the defending Cup holders went west to engage Lester's Victoria Cougars. Patrick instructed his versatile 29-year-old center, Frank Fredrickson, to hound Morenz every move he made. Fredrickson had long been a star, and eye-catching player with his tall, lean build - an all elbows-and-knees kine of frame - and his long-striding skating style.

Indeed, he did stalk Morenz as the Cougars went to work on the visiting Habitants. They won the opening game 5-2 and the second 3-1, with Morenz and his famout No. 7 jersey rarely able to shake Fredrickson. But in the third game, with the possibility looming of a humiliating sweep, Morenz shook loose from his nemesis and scored a three-goal hat trick. The Canadiens won 4-2 and prolonged the series.

Fredrickson was far too experienced to regard Morenz's outburst as more than a temporary fluke. Back went the blanket in Game 4 as Morenz tired in the 60-minute ordeal. The Cougars won the Stanley Cup with a 6-1 clincher."
Now before anyone jumps on me for dubious source material, I found it highly suspect, myself. The title of the book rather reeks of "feel good history" (as my old professor used to say...in case anyone is wondering, I got my bachelors in history) and it is at any rate a second-hand source with presumably (though I haven't asked Dreak) no specific bibliographical reference. All-in-all, an interesting though not particularly convincing piece of evidence. So I went looking for some first-hand facts to either reinforce or refute it. What I found lies somewhere in-between refutation and reinforcement, and may have ultimately shed some light on the beginnings of the shift system in hockey.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote