View Single Post
Old
04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
As I've been saying all season:

Sure, trade Gabby - IF you get a package that includes a potential gamebreaking forward prospect in the deal (e.g. Schenn, Seguin). In that case, absolutely. But to move him just to move him, because "that bum didn't show up for the last 9 games" would be absolute terrible asset management and would only perpetuate the team's cycle of mediocrity.

The reason this team is where it is has nothing to do with lack of effort or strength or checking. We have those things in spades. Yes, Gabby isn't the prototypical player to fit the system we played this year - but adding another player who plays that way wouldn't have made the difference unless he was one of the few who play that way AND scores tons of goals (maybe Perry?).

This team's problem is lack of high-end SCORING TALENT. I know half the posters on this board think that if you have 18 guys who have more heart and bring more effort (and how could I forget more fighting) than the other team, somehow at the end of 60 minutes you will magically have more points on the board - but in reality, you need TALENT to win games. Guys who can make defenders miss; who can pass through traffic; who can blow around defenders or deke them out of their skates; who can rip the puck past the goalie.

So, you move Gabby for parts, replace him with a Laich or a Fleishman or a Cole (who's going to sign for his career in Carolina anyway), do you make the playoffs? Maaaybe. Do you have a substantially better team? No way. And you're now a full THREE first liners away from a Cup contending team

And to sum it all up, consider this: did John "Safe is Death" Tortorella institute the style of play on the current team out of choice... or because he didn't have nearly enough horses to play his preferred style? A good coach adjusts his tactics to fit the players he has - particularly when he doesn't have much talent. But when that happens, adding more of the same hard-working, but untalented players to fit that compensating style is compounding the problem, not solving it.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 04-09-2011 at 11:19 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote