Old
04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I agree with this. As wonderful as a slap shot to the stop corner looks, shooting low is a much higher percentage shot
You would think this is the strategy, and I believe it is, since the Kings have a lot of guys who crowd the net. The problem with young players who have a lot of skill is they want the Sportcenter highlight play which is picking a corner. When you miss the puck goes off the boards and out of the zone. When you shoot to try to get the puck to drop off the goalies leg pad or blocker into the feet of your forward you'll pick up a lot more points than shooting to try to score a goal. No doubt Murray is coaching this strategy but I don't think Johnson and Doughty listen as much as they should. I also agree with Doughty hesitating before he shoots. In the NHL if you hesitate once the path to the goalie gets clogged immediately leading to shots being blocked. Get the puck, get your head up and shoot the puck to try to get a rebound. It's simple but simplicity is lost on talented players. I'd love to see a stat on how many shots both guys miss or are blocked before they get to the net. I'd bet they rank very high on that list.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote