View Single Post
Old
10-14-2003, 05:39 AM
jacketracket*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I think what people saying is that the Civil war is a pretty poor choice of image for a sports team. As is the overbearing patriotic theme of the third jersey.

How would you consider if we had the Carolina Confeds playing in the league, with the confederate flag as shoulder pad?? Would be wrong, wouldn't it? And even if it wasn't wrong, it would feel weird.

It has nothing to with not caring about history, but simply because it creates a weird taste when it is overdone. Now we have loads of sports teams that has names that could indicate they are taking the same route. Yankees, Senators, Capitals, Maple Leafs. All teams with somewhat political names. But they all understand they are sports franchises and definately stay well clear of patriotic stuff and focus on the sports stuff. And they are all pretty s strong image wise.
Point taken.

If that's your position on the unis and team name theme, then by all means, state it as such. That's fair and honest criticism.

The poster that I referenced didn't. He suggested---incorrectly---that the CBJ were draped in the American flag, and that 'Blue Jacket' referred to a bug.

I'm assuming that the poster had waded through 4 or 5 pages of this thread and was STILL laboring under the misperceptions he stated.

I didn't mind the critiquing, but for Pete's sake, PLEASE critique accurately.