View Single Post
Old
04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Keep dreaming. Nobody wants Drury at 1/2 price, much less @ 7+ million. We can either hope that he regains form (20+ G & A) or retires. Other than that, he's not going anywhere.
I don't think it's unfathomable that the Rangers could find a team to trade Drury to that is under the cap that and also looking to shed a "deadweight" player. The problem is Drury's NMC.

For instance, Edmonton will be paying Sheldon Souray $4.5m to play in the AHL next year if they don't buy him out. Edmonton's total cap hit this season was $45,381,452 (not including Souray's $5.4m cap hit). I'm sure they'd rather pay Chris Drury $5m (with a $7m cap hit) to be a veteran presence than pay Souray $4.5m to play in the AHL. Unfortunately, Drury's unlikely to waive his NMC for that type of team.

That leaves us with retirement (looking more and more unlikely now that he has returned to the lineup) or a buyout as our only options. I am fully in favor of buying him out, even if we then fail in our attempt to land Richards.

EDIT: The reason we'd trade for a guy like Souray rather than keep Drury is that Souray can be furloughed in the AHL. However, because of Redden and the summer cap calculations, it really doesn't help up much.