Thread: Speculation: 2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1
View Single Post
Old
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I agree that at least a year or more in the AHL would be beneficial for Glennie. I guess I just get the sick feeling that the lenders have a little more control over the team in financial situations than they should.

A team in this situation, with a forced Cap Floor, entry level contracts with bonuses are king. Dallas doesn't have any significant example other than Glennie and Campbell. I honestly I'm surprised they didn't go hard, or maybe they did and should have gone harder, after a Euro or NCAA free agent. Those guys tend to sign these types of contracts. People get shocked over Brunnstrom and Bozak's contract numbers, but they are perfect (not for fans ... for the money people) for teams like Dallas. Those players are never going to earn the B bonuses. Honestly, I doubt there is on example of a free agent signing a bonus laden ELC earning B bonuses. The only players that earn those are guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Toews. You're talking top of the line, players at very young ages. So that $2 million counts against the cap, gets teams to the floor, and severely lowers their actual obligation to real money.

In a perfect world, I agree that Glennie has to earn his way on to the roster. I'd love to see that happen. I can't say I'm in favor of giving up a 2nd to do it, but a one season, incentive heavy contract to Jamie Langenbrunner could be perfect for the Stars. You'd obviously include some reasonable, reachable goals, but throw in something crazy like 40 goals for $1 million to blow up the cap hit. I don't think they'll let you go crazy like $2 million for 82 goals, so they'd have to find a balance of realistic on paper but unlikely to reach.