View Single Post
Old
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I was nodding along with you until this point. The fact that Glennie's caphit outstrips his salary and will help the lenders get to the floor just isn't a good enough reason to throw him to the wolves. He's the classic slow developer, a bit like Bobby Ryan. You want to err on the side of too much AHL time with him. No one doubts his skill level. But he's got to learn to play disciplined, structured hockey. I mean, why do you think they had him follow around Lehtinen during that training camp? This has always been the issue. I'd hate to see one of our few chances at another impact player squandered because the current team is bad and we had no one else to play in a scoring role. And frankly there's also the concern of just keeping him away from the losing culture this team has developed until the point when his play demands a spot in the NHL.
Agree completely with you here. The ONLY way Scott Glennie should see NHL ice-time in anything other than a preseason game is if he has blown the doors of the AHL and has his baby Stars coaching staff seeing flashes of Benn's Calder playoff dominance. This is true for all of the reasons you point out but I'll add another - attitude. Glennie's attitude, work ethic, and overall drive have been questioned by everyone around him at various times. The last thing he needs, or the Stars need, is an entitled high 1st rounder who thinks this is the way sports go. If you don't create an environment of competition amongst your own prospects you will wind up with a mediocre (at best) NHL club looking for all the world like 18 year olds in a bar with fake I.D.'s.