View Single Post
04-11-2011, 10:54 PM
vCash: 500
The Vancouver Maroons select defenseman Lee Fogolin Sr.

He was a strong skating defenseman with a hard shot, who accepted more of a stay-at-home role at Jack Adams' request, and turned into one of the most feared bodycheckers in the league. As a spare, he'll be able to play spot duty on the bottom-pairing, adding some serious grit and physical play during the playoffs, without being a liability anywhere on the ice (he's responsible in his own zone, he's a strong skater who can handle the puck in the neutral zone, and he has a good shot from the point in the offensive zone)... so he won't look out of place anywhere.

Great size, 5'11" 195, which adjusts to 6'2" 225 in the modern game.

A Stanley Cup Champion in 1950 who performed strongly in the playoffs.

Participated in two mid-season All Star Games.

Originally posted by Legends of Hockey:
Lidio Fogolin was a rugged and solid positional defenceman who played over 400 games in the NHL. He began his career on the powerful Detroit Red Wings' then moved on to the Chicago Black Hawks as they became competitive in the 1950s. During his career, the hard-nosed blueliner dished out more than his share of bone-crunching bodychecks and saw to it that opposition forwards kept their heads up while heading down the ice on offense.

Fogolin saw his first NHL action in the pressure-cooker of the Stanley finals against the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1948. He began the 1948-49 season in Indianapolis before joining Detroit for the last 43 games of the season. The burly rearguard played solidly for the Wings in the playoffs but they came up short against Toronto for the second straight year.

Fogolin was outstanding in 1949-50 as he played tough defense in his own end and was more self-assured moving the puck up ice. He was chosen to the NHL squad in that year's all-star game, then helped the Wings win the Stanley Cup that spring.

The veteran rearguard shifted gears in 1950-51 when he and Steve Black were traded to the weaker Chicago Black Hawks for Bert Olmstead and Vic Stasiuk. He scored 13 points in 35 games and helped solidify the Hawks' blueline. Fogolin was one of the best Chicago players over the next few years but the team's only playoff appearance came in 1953 when they lost a tough seven-game semi-final series to the Montreal Canadiens.
Originally posted by Joe Pelletier:
Father and son played very similar stay-at-home, hard hitting styles of defense. Lee Sr. scored 10 goals and 58 points in his career. He got into 28 playoff games, scoring 2 assists.

Despite strong skating and a hard shot, Red Wings boss Jack Adams welcomed him to the NHL in 1948 saying "Listen, kid, I got enough fancy pants on this team. I need guys who'll stay back there and hit 'em.

Fogolin took the advice the heart, and lasted nearly a decade in the league. He became a feared bodychecker.

Fogolin remembered one big hit on Dean Prentice.

"He passed the puck and made the fatal mistake of admiring the beautiful pass he made. I was right inside our blue line. I took one step. I used to hit with the shoulder . . . and I can still remember . . . I was scared really. I caught him with my shoulder in the breastbone and down he went. I said, 'Oh my god, I think I killed him.'"