Thread: Speculation: 2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1
View Single Post
Old
04-12-2011, 08:31 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Raycroft is the backup next year. That's just the way it's going to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I can't say I'm in favor of giving up a 2nd to do it, but a one season, incentive heavy contract to Jamie Langenbrunner could be perfect for the Stars. You'd obviously include some reasonable, reachable goals, but throw in something crazy like 40 goals for $1 million to blow up the cap hit. I don't think they'll let you go crazy like $2 million for 82 goals, so they'd have to find a balance of realistic on paper but unlikely to reach.
Going back to our earlier conversation, it seems to make more sense to throw money at a player like Laich, who is actually good and in his prime, rather than engage in these tricks with numbers or sign spares to deals they're not remotely worth.

The European free agent season hasn't started in earnest yet. There's still time to be active there and bump up the team cap hit. Though I admit I'm surprised also they couldn't land a single NCAA FA considering that was Joe's area of focus before becoming a GM.

One other concern that struck me was: what if the Rangers waive Avery and then bring him back on re-entry? He's close to wearing out his welcome there also now. We could be in the strange position of hoping that he doesn't get claimed by another team, thereby voiding his remaining cap hit on Dallas' books.