View Single Post
Old
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've never been in a game that got this out of control, but I do have to say that when I played HS hockey it was MASSIVELY more chippy/dirty than any beer league game I've ever played. In my experience there's often some low level chippiness in beer league (that is definitely unnecessary considering it's meant to be non-contact fun), but compared to competitive, full contact minor hockey it is very, very tame.

Maybe I've just been lucky to play in a really great beer league, but for the most part I think most claims of beer league toughness come from guys who have never played competitive, full contact minor hockey, who thus lack some perspective in terms of how rough hockey really can get when you up the stakes and allow contact. Obviously a 2 hander to the head like the one that started this thread is pretty awful, but in 99% of beer league games that I've seen the chippiness is basically just a bit of pushing/shoving, minor hooks and minor slashes, nothing like the dirty hits from behind, high cross checks and other fairly brutal plays that are a fairly common part of competitive, full contact, minor league hockey.
Most of the beer league teams we play against aren't so bad. But there are some guys who tend to get chippy.

I don't mind a little bit of body contact, but the thing that gets me mad quick is hacking, slashing and any kind of stickwork.

A few games ago when I had my hat-trick, I had gone into the corner to get a puck and this guy was going crazy with his stick. Needless to say I shoved him.

Some guys just don't know the difference between baseball and hockey.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote