Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Matt Walker on Re-Entry
View Single Post
Old
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I HATE conspiracy type crap. The whole "the league has it out for us" and "if that was us they would have called it" sort of stuff drives me crazy. That and my roommate is a crazy conspiracy theorist that I shake my head at. But sometimes what is happening in reality makes such little sense, that I begin thinking there must be something I don't know haha.

I know you weren't a fan of the Versteeg deal but I actually was fine with it. I really didn't want to trade a first, but I did think Versteeg was the ideal winger for Richards. He isn't an offensive drain on him, can keep up defensively, and he's young. That said, he's only been average since he's been here.
On the first point, If Philly feels they "need" Matt Walker in the playoffs. If I am Buffalo I claim him. At 750,000, he is an NHL defenseman they can use next year or waive. Either way, why let Philly an advantage?

On point 2, I was "OK" with the Versteeg deal. In my mind however, that first rounder this year was untouchable to begin the replenishment of the system (In fact I was sort of hoping they would deal a Carle for a first rounder and double up on draft picks this year). We will need youth in the very near future. But, I can "understand" the deal, Versteeg does have a cup and is a young player who will be an RFA when his deal expires.

The Leighton/Walker re-entry.....I can't understand those at all. I have been defending Homer saying he learned from Randy Jones and wouldn't make that mistake again. This time, we are in Darcy Tucker territory, where Matt Walker is eating 750,000 off our cap next year and the year after. That is unbelievable.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote