Thread: Speculation: 2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1
View Single Post
Old
04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Raycroft is the backup next year. That's just the way it's going to be.Going back to our earlier conversation, it seems to make more sense to throw money at a player like Laich, who is actually good and in his prime, rather than engage in these tricks with numbers or sign spares to deals they're not remotely worth.

The European free agent season hasn't started in earnest yet. There's still time to be active there and bump up the team cap hit. Though I admit I'm surprised also they couldn't land a single NCAA FA considering that was Joe's area of focus before becoming a GM.

One other concern that struck me was: what if the Rangers waive Avery and then bring him back on re-entry? He's close to wearing out his welcome there also now. We could be in the strange position of hoping that he doesn't get claimed by another team, thereby voiding his remaining cap hit on Dallas' books.
I think we're just looking at this in different ways.

I agree with you that going after a key UFA would be ideal. Laich would be at the top of my list, but as I pointed out a week or so ago, I highly doubt you're going to attract a guy like that.

There's an obvious problem with this off-season. Lack of certainty. Is Tony Tavares full of it or will Dallas have an owner by June 30th? Will that new owner be willing to increase payroll, even by another $5 million or so? Will Richards sign with Dallas?

Some people are pointing out that a point here or there, and this season is completely different. It's a positive instead of a negative. Yeah, that's correct, but this uncertainty remains regardless. The playoffs would have been great. They would have have put off the thoughts of an ugly off-season a week .. maybe more. Regardless, this off-season was always going to be difficult.

Everything I've said from the past day in a half is the belief that the sale will not get done in time for free agency. Nothing we've heard about the sale of the team has happened yet. The only thing that did happen is we found out the lenders thought they could milk the team for more money, and that's exactly what they're doing. The next belief I'm working from is that Brad Richards will not be a Dallas Star next season.

Based on those two assumptions, I don't think you can expect a potential, high profile free agent with several offers to join a team with so much uncertainty. Therefore, the stupid gimmicks that I don't want to see, like inflated ELC's and veteran one-year deals, are just something I see as inevitable.

Regarding Avery, my bigger fear would be a demotion to the minors. NY isn't a team that wastes cap space on buyouts or re-entry waivers (they do that with terrible UFA signings ) They bury players in the minors. If that happened, $2 million opens up on Dallas' cap, but they still have to pay Avery that money. It's a nightmare I hadn't thought of, but thanks for bringing it up .

I'd love to be completely wrong, but I'm just tired of being optimistic. Not much has gone the Stars way the last 3 seasons, and there's no legitimate indication that a sale of the team is close. I don't think it's the end of the world, I just think that we'll have to wait another season for change.