View Single Post
Old
08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Datsyuk is 27 with 4 years of service in the NHL (the lockout year of 04-05 counts as a year of service).
In a couple of seasons, Datsyuk will become an unrestricted free agent. Do you think the Kings would be willing to give up many assets in order to get a couple of seasons out of Datsyuk?

And as talented as Datsyuk is, consider this. What would rather watch? A winning TEAM or pretty goals scored from a single individual? Datsyuk is one of the most talented stickhandlers in the game and is also great at setting up his teammates. But take a look at his playoff performances. Much like Yashin, his play and production takes a dive when the game matters most.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him in the top six rotation, but at what cost? If it's going to cost the future, I'd rather they hang onto their young assets rather than acquire a player who will score some highlight real goals and leave the Kings in a couple of seasons and test the UFA market. Datsyuk isn't the type of player that will elevate the Kings into a contender. As good as he is, Datsyuk isn't the type of player who will carry the workload on his shoulders.