Old
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Carolina is in the same position with Brian Dumoulin, as mentioned in the OP, and they seem to be perfectly fine with it and to be honest Dumoulin has less to prove in the NCAA than Kreider does. Kid was a +40 with 22 points his Freshman year from defense and was +18 with 33 points as a Sophomore.

I am of the opinion that before you advance a player up a level, you need to let them dominate the one they're on. I think if Kreider goes back to BC like he plans, then he'll likely post numbers that could find him in consideration for the Hobey Baker. He needs that experience of being the man on a team like Stepan had. Both of these kids will be expected to step forward and really take charge next season and you'll have a more complete player in the end.

There are times when you have to temper your excitement to see a prospect debut with the knowledge that having them up too soon may prove detrimental to their future. Let him stay in college, have his fun, and come up when he's ready. Let him close the chapter on his college career the way he wants and come into the 2012-2013 season mentally and physically prepared for the NHL game.
Entirely different player, though. I am the biggest proponent around for a player staying in school and for being in the NCAA. Kreider is one of the few I would ever argue for to leave very early for (others like Stepan just had zero left to prove, so it was a good move for him) who are not complete yet.

Kreider would have been better off in the Q, shockingly enough, IMHO. His offensive game is going to be his biggest weapon and I feel it would have developed quicker and, frankly, better in the Q. I really don't care about his overall game since the speed he has would make up for it and help him in learning the two-way game much faster than the average prospect.

Chris NEEDS to get out of the NCAA. He needs to either move on to the next level or play as an overager in the Q. He needs to develop that offense more of his.

The NCAA is not the place for him right now.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote