View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, he is now. But at age 31 (in less than 3 weeks) how long will he continue to be? I don't think many of us are completely opposed to having him sign...but we shudder to think what the ramifications (both in cap hit and performance on the ice) will be when he's 35, 36, 37 years old.
You can't hit a home run if you don't swing the bat.

But seriously, I'm willing to take the chance on Richards given his history. We have enough young talent making its way onto the team that even if Richards doesn't perform up to expectations for the length of his contract, we should still be fine.

As long as Richards' production doesn't take a Drury-like nosedive, which there is no reason to think it would, I can live with the results.

The chance that we could have an elite playmaker on our team outweighs the potential risk IMHO. The hole Brad Richards would fill on this team is the hardest hole to fill on any team in the NHL, especially given that we never pick very high in the draft. If he can be had for just money, you do everything in your power to get it done unless his demands are ridiculous to the point of hamstringing your team in the future.