View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I totally understand how good Richards is. I actually REALLY like him as a player. However, Drury is 34 right now and he has been declining for a couple of seasons. Now we are talking about giving a 31 year old Richards a 7 year contract!?

Even if Richards is THAT much better than Drury, you are telling me Brad will keep up his pace from earlier in his career as he reaches 35, 36 and 37? Will he be worth 6.5 million at age 36? What if he has another concussion? These HAVE to factor into his next contract.
I really don't think Drury is a comparable to Richards. Drury's decline, while influenced by age, is largely due to how he plays the game IMO. I think if he wasn't out there being Hank's human shield on the PK night in and night out for years, his decline would have been far less dramatic. Still not worth $7M a year, but he was never worth that anyway, even in his prime.

Richards doesn't take the same amount of physical abuse that Drury does due to the different styles they have. Again, it is just my opinion, but I don't think Drury's situation is indicative of what we can reasonably expect from Richards. We shouldn't let the Drury contract make us gun shy about acquiring aging elite talent.