View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Play it again, Leino: Finland native loves postseason pressure

Nice insight into Leino...would love to see his shoe collection.

I thought this was the most revealing part....hopefully "Leino's way" doesn't translate in the playoffs as it has during the reg season with turnovers. If he can repeat last year's success and his decisions under pressure pan out like last year great..otherwise I'm sure him and Lavy will be butting heads...

BTW love the Pitkanen tidbit about him being here 8 years and still not knowing how to order in English. Pitakenen is def a slow assimilator...at least culturally. Looks like he's assimilated in the NHL a lot better now.

Quote:
"Peter and I didn't start out very well together," Leino says. "It's not his fault. I don't blame him for that. But I can't play in that simple way that others can. I can't be that guy who just dumps the puck in, because I won't get anything done.

"I don't enjoy that. I won't get excited. Because that's not what I am."

And that's when Leino decided, after already wearing out his welcome under Mike Babcock in Detroit, that if he was going to fail, he was going to do it like the Sinatra song. "My way."

"I thought about [failing] a lot," he concedes. "But I said if I fail, I'll fail as myself and the player that I've developed and the player I've always been - not the player that tried to please somebody.

"Before, I tried to do things that made coaches happy. That's the Finn in me. Because I don't want to piss anyone off or give a bad impression. But that's not what I am - I decided I wasn't going to change for anyone else."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tml?page=1&c=y

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote