View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I'm all for building from within, but in this current state, the organization does not have any high end talent in the system. Once our "core" players are developed, that's when you acquire a player that fills a need.

Richards is a player who fills 2 of our major needs. Players of his caliber are not available very often, and you need to acquire them when you see the opportunity.

I know we don't have that high end talent, but only in extreme circumstances do you sign that talent as UFA. Not just because it's available.

If we one and done this playoffs, it doesn't matter that our core is coming of age… we need to continue to build and look to the future. Not every decent core of players eventually turns into a serious Cup contender.

15m wrapped up between Richards and a guy who may never have an injury free season is a bad start to any cap situation. we're talking losing lots of core players down the road, and having very high turnover in our bottom 6 and bottom pairing D over that time.

We're just sneaking into the playoffs this season. Richards is a piece that probably allows us to compete for the conference lead, but only if Gabby is healthy, otherwise we're still middling in the 5-10 spots.

A team like MOntreal is primed to add a 7m guy if the opportunity struck. They've had a deep run in the playoffs last year, and finished just below the division leaders. Adding a star makes them a conference favorite.

I know "high end talent" sounds like a great thing to have, but if the price tag forces us into retooling every year, and forces us to loose future pieces… only to struggle for a 2 or 3 standing spot boost then IMHO it's not worth it.