View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
I'm not sure where I stand on this issue... I one point I definitely wanted a guy like Colton Orr around... But this season has changed my opinion a bit. I will state this though - anyone notice that this previous discussion used to be - "We need an enforcer to protect Henke and to prevent our team from being pushed around and taken liberties with".... Now it's turned to - "We need an enforcer to protect Prust from hurting himself"....

Sounds to me like the need or urgency isn't nearly what it used to be. This team is much tougher and stronger than we've been in the past... They stick up for each other and our defensemen don't take any **** from opposing forwards in our crease area.... I think other teams adjust their rosters accordingly when they know they'll be up against a Ranger team that is rolling four lines with no heavyweight enforcer... You saw Philly sit Shelley when it was confirmed that Boogaard wasn't dressing...

I like having some muscle that can fight, but it's clear that it's extremely difficult to find an individual who can do this and still play the game and take regular shifts.... If we can't find that guy, we're better off going without one... No sense in wasting a roster spot and cap space on a guy who's only going to get 30 some odd games a year.... The Brashear and Boogaard signings have been massive failures... How many ill advised enforcer signings can the Rangers afford to make? I didn't always believe this but I think the strictly enforcer role in the NHL is being phased out.... Guys that can't play the game are not seeing the playing time they used to. I think you'll still see a lot of fighting in the game, but it's going to be between players who actually can play the game, and that, more often then not, will probably be the players you normally wouldn't lump in the "heavyweight enforcer" category...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote