Thread: Speculation: 2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1
View Single Post
Old
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Mancari, I'm not as high on. He has great size, questionable skating ability, but produces at lower levels. The problem I see is he couldn't really break into the Sabres lineup, and when he did, he was just a 4th liner. To draw a comparison to another former Star, he could be similar to Brad Winchester. Brad was just a guy in Dallas, went on to produce a bigger role in St. Louis, and now he's playing a decent role on a playoff team in Anahiem. Mancari may be nothing more than a 4th liner or healthy scratch in Dallas, or he could click with Ribs (Mark is a right shot) and put up modest numbers. One other positive is he'd give even more competition to Vincour and Glennie to make the team. It's probably worth the risk. However, I think Dallas already has this type of risk/reward project in Wathier and Sawada. They just don't offer the size Mancari has, and IDK if those guys are really much competition for Vincour or Glennie. He's listed at 220 plus, something Dallas has lacked.
I think your perception is pretty accurate - Mancari has been just another of many past Sabre prospects that dominated at the AHL level but couldn't translate it to the NHL, no matter what the circumstances or linemates he was given to work with. He lacks NHL speed and the two assets that are his biggest weapons in the AHL - his shot and his size - rarely appear in the more talented, competitive NHL.

If he goes to another team, it will be more as a role player for the 3rd or 4th line, where chipping in the odd goal will be seen more as a bonus than an expectation.