View Single Post
Old
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Cowboy Dan
Reader Since '06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
Have to correct you on that. Michalek was swinging his stick wildly, lost control of it and it hit St.Louis in the face drawing blood.
Michalek should have been given the penalty and extra for the blood.
Regardless of where St.Louis is, Michalek lost control of his stick.
Alot of penalties Tampa took were their own fault, but there were alot of penalties that were questionable from what i saw. Pens got away with more than Tampa did, plain and simple.
I never said Michalek did have control of his stick, but when St. Louis' head is a foot off the ice, that is neither a high stick or a slash.

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

St. Louis was basically on the ice, so whether he was in control of his stick or not, it is not a penalty according the to NHL high sticking rule.

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

Yes, I'm aware it did not hit St. Louis in the pant or shin pad, but that was due to the fact, as everyone in the thread has stated, that he was on his way to the ice. It was obviously not an aggressive play by Michalek, more an awkward fall, and therefore, by the rule, should not be penalized.

As for the officiating argument, that's a whole different discussion. I will say however, that I disagree with you're view on that, but that's neither here nor there.

Cowboy Dan is offline   Reply With Quote