View Single Post
Old
08-08-2005, 01:35 PM
louieleftwing

vCash: 500
Well, I'm not going to sit here and disect this deal as to whether or not it should be done. I will say that it could be a very nice proposal for both teams. Here's why...

Tarnstrom is obviously very good. He's going to put up a ton of points on the 1st PP this year. Lemieux loves the guy on the PP. Then he'll leave as a UFA. With his success in what will be over three years, he will command a nice payday. With Ryan Whitney ready to make the jump by that time and fill a very similar role, Tarnstrom will not be kept. It's the nature of this new CBA beast.

Trading Tarnstrom now would just speed the process up by one year. Whitney could just be brought up this fall. It's a rush, but it's doable.

As for the forwards, it is entirely possible that the Pens use their scoring depth (Morozov and Kraft) to create a third scoring line. It is also possible they look to move Morozov and Kraft to get true third liners and have two scoring lines and two checking lines. Sillinger (a good faceoff man to boot) and Mayers would fit. I have no idea which way the Pens will go, though.

Salvador is exactly the physical, defensive d-man the team could use. A top 7 of Gonchar, Jackman, Orpik, Melichar, Salvador, Whitney, and Scuderi is serviceable.

So, I say good work on a very interesting deal. But, I'd limit it to Morozov and Tarnstrom for Salvador, Sillinger, and Mayers.