04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
My thoughts on the game:

Torts continues to shorten his bench and therein lies the difference between the two teams. Staal and Girardi played 34/35 minutes and both looked exhausted after the first 5 minutes on OT. Was the fatigue a factor in the late turnover? I believe yes. The Rangers needed to win it early or the Caps had a huge advantage. The Rangers looked like a boxer (in OT) constantly under pressure hoping to hear the bell to get a much needed rest. The choice is clear, going forward... Play with more balance and have more energy late (but risk a drop off in personnel) or play with your best hoping the game doesn't drag on. Staal and Gir played against the Ovech line so 35 minutes on the ice really takes it's toll.

Clearly a Ranger 2nd goal and everything I just said would be moot.
The Caps announcers mentioned how entering overtime, no Washington defender had played more than 21 minutes. That Boudreau had really balanced the pairings, and that it would likely work to the advantage of Washington as the game progressed. It did.

I know we always match Staal/Girardi against Ovechkin/Backstrom, but Torts is going to have to find some way to limit that pair's TOI. Even if we don't play another OT game, those guys are going to be dead tired after a few more games. They already--IMO--looked tired down the stretch, especially Staal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote