View Single Post
Old
10-14-2003, 02:01 PM
cc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
that's faulty reasoning...

it's like saying that if the team bailed out Sopel in games 1 and 2, they should be able to bail him out every game...
That's not what I was trying to say. The team and goalie is expected to bail out their dmen every now and then. That's just the way it is. The way it almost sounds is that Sopel is the only guy that gets bailed out and that's simply not true. It's going to happen with all dmen whether we like or not.

Quote:
Sopel didn't have a bad game 3... the errors I saw were mostly in games 1 and 2, and he did look awful at times in those games.

it's not even so much about positioning... his positioning isn't that bad compared to other dmen... what bothers me is his ability with the puck in 2 of the 3 zones... he's excellent in the offensive zone... rarely we see him give up the puck there, or make a bad play...

but in the neutral zone and the defensive zone, he's making big mistakes still.... it seems that he gets more pressure in those zones, and can't handle it well.
If he continued to play the way he played in game one, and it doesn't improve, there may be cause for concern... but it hasn't so I don't know why we are talking about him still. And even in his bad games, he moved the puck out of the zone in plenty of situations, and even whe he gave up the puck, he was still in position to correct his mistake.
Find me a dman who doesn't feel pressured against a forechecking team that can't be slowed down like they used to.
In addition, It's almost as if, when Sopel has the puck, it gives the green light for other players to move quickly up ice for the pass and increase the gap sometimes.

Quote:
Sopel is key for our team because of offense... if we don't need that from him anymore, he's not contributing to our success... defensively he's an average dman at best, and if he played like that consistently, it wouldn't matter... but for too long now he's been below average defensively, and I had hoped (and still hope) that he overcomes that this season...
I disagree. He's used as a paring against the opposing team's top line. For now, that's what he's relied on in addition to offense so his defense is also crucial. I don't think he is below average defensive ability. He had a poor year last year but he was also playing through injuries.

Quote:
we've all seen him play in 2002... if he can play like that he's not a problem... I'm worried because I don't know if he will play like that this season.
We don't know he can't either. There's no point in thinking about it now, especially after he had a strong game.