View Single Post
Old
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
jt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
jt, there is no AHL max salary, period, end of story, nothing to debate here, That is a FACT.

The $75,000 figure is NOT an AHL maximum salary, period, end of story, nothing to debate here. That is a FACT.

The Kings (and likely other teams) might use the $75,000 as if it's some hard CAP figure (similar to the individual player salary CAP in the NHL) and negotiate down from there. That does change the FACT that $75,000 is NOT an AHL max salary. There is no MAX salary in the AHL.
I don't know what to say. While it's not a written cap, it is for all intents and purposes an individual salary cap. That's why it was written into the CBA the way it was...the PURPOSE of it is to act like a cap on AHL salaries. I don't know how you can say it's not a cap.

Quote:
If you take the $75,000 and apply, oh I don't know, let's say a 24% roll-back, you come out at $57,000. Hauser's QO AHL side salary was reported to be less than $60,000. Probably just a coincidence...
Could be, I'm not sure. But I'd have to know what his salary was last year.

Quote:
You and I both know that the $75,000 threshold is in place to prevent teams from "stashing players" as well as to allow teams to move players that are below that salary between the NHL and the AHL without having to put them through waivers. That does NOT make the $75,000 salary the individual MAX player salary that teams should view in the same way as the individual player max that has been put into place in the NHL and use it as a figure for a select few elite players. There are no "elite" players in the AHL...
I agree that it's not the same as the ABSOLUTE cap in the NHL. But for any player who wants to play in the NHL it is effectively a cap.

Quote:
edit: If my memory serves me correctly, you and I discussed the reason for waivers applying coming up from the AHL rather than going down to the AHL as they were previously. I believe you suggested that the reason as you understood it was that teams could pay players more than the $75,000 if they wanted to. This way they could send them down at the beginning of the season without the chance of losing them to waivers. I believe you used Brad Smyth as an example...
Could be...that sounds like something I'd say and a guy I'd use as an example. IMO, the $75k cap is designed to do a few things (in order of importance):

1) Keep AHL salaries low for NHL prospects.
2) Keep AHL salaries low for veterans who may play in the NHL at some point in their contract.
3) Keep teams from stashing too many good players by overpaying quality AHLers/borderline NHLers.