04-17-2011, 11:59 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
With the 782nd pick in ATD2011, The Regina Pats are pleased to select:

Al MacAdam, RW/LW

- 6'0", 180 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1981)
- 14th in Goals, 12th in Points (1980)
- Top-15 in Playoff Goals Twice (7th, 14th)
- Top-15 in Playoff Points Twice (10th, 13th)
- Bill Masterton Trophy Winner (1980)
- 5th among RWs and 7th among LWs in all-star voting (1980)
- 14th in Selke voting (1984), also was "among leaders" in 1980, results past 5th unavailable
- Named California Golden Seals MVP (1976)
- Named Minnesota North Stars MVP (1980)
- Played In NHL All-Star Game (1976, 1977)
- Team Canada's Leading Scorer, World Championships, 10th overall behind a bunch of Soviets (1979)
- Points rankings on team: 3rd(1975), 1st(1976), 2nd(1977), 4th(1978), 2nd(1979), 1st(1980), 3rd(1981)
- 51 NHL fights - www.dropyourgloves.com (7-2-4 record in recorded results)
- Cleveland Captain (1978)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey.net
Although Al MacAdam's name is not engraved on the Cup, he did receive a Stanley Cup ring for contributing to the Flyers' ultimate victory. It was his only Stanley Cup, but MacAdam seldom takes the ring out of the jeweler's box, feeling he really didn't contribute enough to the Flyers' Stanley Cup victory to wear it.

MacAdam's career took him from Philadelphia to the California Golden Seals, to the Cleveland Barons (where he and a teammate initiated a strike threat after not being paid by the bankrupt management), to the Minnesota North Stars and finally, ending in Vancouver with the Canucks. In 1977 and 1979, he represented Canada at the World Championships.

MacAdam's most productive season was 1979-80 when he scored 42 goals and 51 assists for Minnesota. During the playoffs that season, MacAdam had two series winning goals. One knocked the Leafs out of the first round, while the second eliminated the Canadiens from round two. That season, Al MacAdam was awarded the Masterton Trophy, emblematic of perseverance through the course of the season
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI Sports Hall of Fame
“"Give me a team of Alan MacAdams," observed one NHL coach, "and I'll give you a championship." Such was the ultimate tribute paid to Kings County's most famous hockey player, a man who has been called the best two-way right-winger in the recent history of Canada's national game.” ...Al MacAdam played for the Team Canada squad at the 1977 World Championships in Vienna. He proved to be Canada's most effective forward, swirling around the Luzhniki Rink with linemates Steve Payne and Bobby Smith… 1979 saw Al MacAdam return as Canada's most outstanding player in the world tournament held at Moscow, playing on a line with North Star Bobby Smith and the explosive Marcel Dionne." ...One of hockey's most respected competitors, Alan MacAdam is a most deserving inductee to the Prince Edward Island Sports Hall of Fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Hockey Legends
“Affectionately known by teammates as "Big Al" or "Mac," he was an extremely talented skater and two-way player who could always be counted upon to show up to every game (he missed a mere 21 games over the course of 11 seasons) and to produce solid numbers for his teams (many of which, mind you, were not the most competitive in the league). The moustached MacAdam, who donned #25 throughout his NHL career, was adept on both right wing and left, and he could play in virtually all situations... The 3M Line remained intact when the franchise relocated to Cleveland and became the Barons for the 1976-77 campaign. MacAdam continued to be a model of consistency and was selected as an All-Star for the second consecutive year. The following year, he was even made team captain. However, MacAdam was unhappy with the direction in which the Barons were headed, and he would not be afraid to criticize things such as low attendance at home games, poor performance in the standings, and management's inability to meet payroll. In fact, MacAdam and a teammate threatened to go on strike upon hearing that management wanted to defer player salaries. After two seasons in Cleveland, the franchise was absorbed by the Minnesota North Stars... MacAdam earned the reputation as being "Mr. Clutch"... "Smith and Payne wanted to play right away in the NHL and the coach felt I was the guy who could balance them out at both ends of the ice," MacAdam said. "I was the mature guy on the line. We had a big line. They were 6-3 and 6-4 and I was a little over 6 feet. We clicked right away. They came out of a winning environment with the Ottawa 67s. Bobby was a high draft choice and he had that to prove and wanted to prove it. He pushed himself and others rose to a higher level. Then, we got key people like Paul Shmyr and Curt Giles, people who knew how to win and came from winning teams."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Smith
“He is one of the people I admire most in the whole world.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hynes
“not the hurrah type, but one who led by example
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al MacAdam
I like to out-think the opposition. What I enjoy most about the game are the big challenges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Sonmor: Old Time Hockey
the finale came down to the wire, with our top scorer that year, Al MacAdam, notching the game-winning goal with just over a minute to go to put us ahead for good, 3-2... I will never forget seeing all of the faces of the stunned Montréal crowd when we won that last game. It was something else… We have a lot of tough guys on our team… Jack Carlson, Brad Maxwell, Dave Richter, Al MacAdam and Gordie Roberts... I remember seeing how MacAdam just beat the crap out of one of Boston's toughest guys, Stan Jonathan. It was a bloodbath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthanded: The Untold Story of the California Golden Seals
you would be hard-pressed to find a former teammate of Al MacAdam who had anything bad to say about him. MacAdam was an unquestioned leader on the seals despite his relative youth and the fact that he was a fairly quiet man off the ice. MacAdam led by example. Nobody ever questioned his work ethic, his dedication for his desire. "He didn't like to be a leader but he was one," Len Frig said. "He was sort of a quiet leader." Even coach and GM Bill McCreary who was not known as a man to spread complements around lightly, thought very highly of MacAdam. "He was a solid citizen. He was the type you would want for a son. He was tougher than most people thought was."

"The attitude I experienced on the flyers allowed me to survive the next five or six years in California, Cleveland and then my first year in Minnesota when we didn't make the playoffs. I observed what you had to do to win on the next level. I remembered what team was all about and what you had to do to get to the top and how to survive and win in this league. In retrospect, in California and Cleveland, are team was shown disrespect by the other teams in the league. They knew all they had to do to beat us was turn it up a little. Teams were relaxed and jovial when they played us."

One problem MacAdam did have one arriving in California was which position he would play. Although he was a left-handed shot, coach Marshall Johnston started him out as a right-wing. It took some getting used to for MacAdam. "Early in the season, I'll have a lot of good scoring chances that weren't going in. It was hard to see him come up dry all the time. It was as frustrating for me as it was for him."

Because of his hard work ethic, MacAdam earned the respect of veterans and rookies alike. Defenseman Bob Stewart called MacAdam "a tough, no-nonsense player. He took his man and was a scrapper and the fighter. He was a real team player and a committed and hard-working athlete." Rookie center Larry Patey thought MacAdam was "a dedicated hockey player and a tough player. He was a quiet guy and he was businesslike on the ice. He went up and down his wing and did his job. He was a very respected player in the league." "He was always trying to improve," the veteran defenseman Jim Nielsen recalled. "Every game, he tried to do something to improve his game."

Because of his toughness, MacAdam earned the nickname "Spud". While MacAdam never accumulated 100 penalty minutes in a season during his NHL career, he was considered a fearless player who could more than hold his own when it was time to drop the gloves. "How was the kind of guy you'd like more of in the NHL," said rookie winger Freddie Ahearn. "He was hard-nosed but he was never a cheap shot artist. He came to play every night and was one of the most underrated fighters in the league."

Morris Mott said MacAdam was "a very solid hockey player and a faster skater. Just a solid citizen type of person, he was also a good fighter although very quiet about it." "He would stand up for his teammates and was one of the toughest fighters in the league," Charlie simmer said. "It took a lot to get him mad, though. Dave Gardner added, "he was the strongest pound for pound guy I knew. He could do 100 push-ups without trying. He was an all-around guy who worked really hard."

One fight that many teammates recalled was a standoff between MacAdam and Islanders Hall of Fame defenseman Denis Potvin. "One night on Long Island, he put a good lick on Denis Potvin. It was the first time I saw Potvin get hit like that. Goalie Gary Simmons respectfully called MacAdam "a tough little ****. I remember he beat up Potvin on Long Island once. He could really throw them."... "Harold Snepsts went after Al in Vancouver once," Frank Spring said. "That was a big mistake. He was respected by everybody."

In 1975, MacAdam truly began to blossom as a hockey player… In his second season in Oakland, MacAdam was teamed with two rookies, center Dennis Maruk and left wing Bob Murdoch to form the "3-M Line". The trio quickly became the seals most dangerous combination and helped bring some excitement to the Oakland Coliseum for the first time in a long time. "We had some skill and we had some chemistry. Bob Murdoch had good hands and Dennis Maruk was good with the puck and had speed. I played good defense and worked the corners."

The low-key MacAdam continued to earn the praise of his teammates. "He was silent but deadly," recalled rookie center Ralph Klassen. "He was unnoticeable but got the job done. A quiet guy, but don't get him mad." Wayne Merrick said: "I had a lot of respect for him. He was a wonderful man who was dedicated to the game and an excellent example of a person. He was a great example to follow. He was tough, he could fight with anybody I know but he didn't go looking for it."

In his second season in Minnesota, McAdam enjoyed his finest NHL season, scoring 93 points in 80 games. He also got his first extended taste of playoff action that season and responded by scoring seven goals and 16 points in 15 postseason contests. McAdam also scored the game-winning goal in the seventh game of the quarterfinal series against Montréal that ended the have's four-year reign as Stanley Cup champions.… The following season when the North stars marched to the Stanley Cup finals, McAdam again was a key contributor, scoring nine goals and 19 points in 19 games.

All of McAdam's teammates had nothing but nice things to say about him. Mike Christie called MacAdam, "The Silent Assassin". "Guys didn't know how tough he was. He was the classiest guy I played with. You could count on him. He was a legitimate 20 – 30 goal scorer and a good two-way hockey player." Jim Pappin added, "Al MacAdam was a good hockey player with no bad habits. He wanted to win. He was a hard-nosed kid. If we had two or three more Al McAdams, we'd have been a good team."
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfights.com boards
MacAdam was one of those guys that just didn't take any **** from anyone, and wouldn't let things go on the ice. If you made him mad, than the gloves were coming off and he was trying to kill you. It was a different era and Al was a different type of player. Very nice man - in fact anyone who speaks about Mr MacAdam always remarks that he is a true gentleman - but was a force when he played on the ice. I think he was born in 1952 though Fan (not to nitpick at all) he and my old man were tight growing up.

MacAdam was equal opportunity as he would fight tough guys or superstars, whoever happened to be in his path on any particular time. Some highlites from MacAdam's card include:

1)A very suprising upset over Dave Hutchinson in Maple Leaf Gardens

2)Draw with a very tough Mel Bridgman in Cleveland during a brawl in Cleveland started by Randy Holt.

3)Pounded Dennis Potvin in a very one sided victory.

4)Supposedly had an amazing fight with Curt Fraser during a 6 on 6 brawl between Vancouver and Minnensota.

5)Broke Dale Cook's jaw in training camp with the Flyers

6)Pounded a young Mark Messier. MacAdam nailed him with a clean check, Messier got up and proceded to jump him but when MacAdam righted himself he really took Messier apart and scored a victory.

7)Lost to Hoyda in a spirited bout.

8) Had a really nice fight with Gary Nylund as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1976
seals think he will be around a long time… Smooth skater who is not reluctant to cruise near the oppositions net… Doesn't look like a fighter, but can handle himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1977
seals MVP last season… Rarely fights, but has surprised opponents with ability to defend himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1978
has surprised many experts because of consistent performances after low draft selection… In three full pro seasons has yet to miss a game… Does everything well and doesn't go looking for trouble… When baited, usually surprises opponents with ability to defend himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1979
caught up in the disaster scoring slump that hit the barons last season… Has not missed a game in the last four years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1980
missed 20 games due to injuries after playing full schedule 4 straight seasons… Still ranked second on club in scoring… Former Cleveland Captain excels as a checker and has good fundamental skills in all areas… Soft-spoken and calm, he is nonetheless an excellent fighter when provoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1981
one of hockey's best two-way players… Excels offensively as well as defensively… "Give me a team of Al McAdams and I'll win a championship," says North stars coach Glenn Sonmor... Dedicated worker who traces his determined style of play to his Scottish heritage… Finished among leaders in voting for Frank Selke Trophy as league's best defensive forward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1982
among the NHL's best all-around wingers… Strong skater, good with puck, good checker and tough in corners.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote