View Single Post
Old
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I don't think so. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't offer him a contract at all. I think Gilroy gets a bad rap on here and it's not entirely deserved. Yeah, he hasn't played up to near the level we hoped for when we signed him, but he's still become a serviceable NHL dman. He's a 6th/7th dman and will be paid accordingly. And he still has some offensive ability. It doesn't hurt us at all to re-sign him for cheap.

If better options become available, he can earn his NHL salary in Hartford or be traded. It's a no-lose proposition for the Rangers.
You make a good point here.

1 Staal - Girardi
2 McD - Sauer
3A The Warrior Valetenko - A reasonable righthanded UFA with a booming shot (Babchuk? or, Wisznewski/probably too expensive tho)
3B MDZ - Bruiser/creaseclearing Righthanded D either via trade or UFA (Is this Big Macs future spot?)

7th D/ 14 FW Gilroy (for cheap)

Is not a totally bad D... And quite reasonable in cost.
Always possible to add some experience at the deadline too. I do also believe that Sather may move one or two of our defensive prospects on the D this offseason - we have too many guys there right now and desperately need scoring. Our D prospects with upsides that seem to be possible future NHLers now include - MDZ, McIlraith, Valetenko, Kundratek, Pashnin (?) and Parlett (?). Other very very dark horses in the NYR:s system include: Niemi, Maggio, Bickel, Nightengale (never), Baldwin, Klassen, Dowzak...
Could this however (hopefully) also mean Sather showing a bit more attention to getting something going up front to get a real 1st line and providing some consistent scoring?
Me like!

Last edited by BBKers: 04-19-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote