Thread: Larry Brooks: Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension
View Single Post
Old
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

vCash: 500
Gilroy has been serviceable, good in the playoffs, doesn't turn the puck over in his end, and most importantly his play doesn't result in the puck being in the back of our net. Don't know why people hate this guy. Think about what we have rotting in Hartford that was playing on our defense not so long ago. It is his second year playing the pro game, and he has plenty of room to improve. If not Gilroy, who is going to play on our bottom pairing? Are we going to go out and get a free agent who doesn't know Tort's system? I don't like that idea. Is Eminger going to play every day? Gilroy has been better in my opinion, whether you look at upside or not. I'm not going to argue that Gilroy has come in and done what we hoped he would do, but I WILL argue that his defensive play has improved tenfold since we first saw him.

Gilroy is not a liability, and that is what i am looking for in my #6 defenseman. He has looked far less shaky this year defending the rush. He isn't anywhere near a finished product, and often patience with young players pays off. I shouldn't have to point this out.

Besides, i am interested to see if he is able to bring more offense this year. Not all offensive defenseman score 40 points in their first two years.

EDIT: The people expecting Valentenko to come in and play in the NHL next year havn't been watching him play in Hartford.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote