Thread: Larry Brooks: Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension
View Single Post
Old
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Regarding defensive games - he was tied for 1st (together with Grachev) on the Whale/Wolfpack team this year on +/- stats - both with a very respectable +21 for the year. I know many people here disregard this statistic as useless - Many GMs & coaches and myself included DO NOT.

He needs a bit of work on his first stride - getting more explosive to win 1 on 1 battles (great open ice skater) and his defensive coverage too. But he has the toolset as an NHL defender. He can hit, shoot, skate and has pretty hockey good sense on the ice. And apparently good character and a team guy (no Russian Diva). By no means a virituosa - but he is a "warrior on ice" as he has been dubbed. Really what we need - together with a powerful Righthanded shooter on the 3rd pair. Could he be groomed & shift over to the right side and possibly be paired with MDZ on the 3rd pair - if MDZ gets his act together this summer - both on & off the ice? That would be (in theory I admit) great having an all "homegrown" (well - basically) defense next year in:

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Valetenko
Gilroy
Don't forget about Kundatrek...he has been consistent all year.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote