View Single Post
Old
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Subban has become a #1 D that is more important defensively than offensively (even though he's still a great offensive threat). Imo, that's more important to a team than any of the other 3.

However, for the Calder run anything that doesn't show up in stats will not be considered or nearly.

The offensive production of a rookie on a losing team will always be better than on a winning team or nearly because they can get used profusely, they're out of it anyway, and they can take chances because if they get scored against by missing their chance, who cares? Look at how Kaberle was great in Toronto on a losing team cause he could make passes from his zone to the other team's blue line where his teammates were waiting. Has a much harder time doing this when his team actually plays defensively and doesn't have guys waiting for passes all over the rink (but leaving gaping holes all over their defensive zone).

No matter what though, Skinner was my pick for the Calder, this kid's amazing.

I think Frogurt said it best though. Choices are valid, even though I think Subban deserved the nomination more than Grabner. But a 21 y.o. #1D with huge offensive upside to me is worth a whole lot more than any forward not named Crosby (or nearly...). Subban might never get as nice looking stats as some of the other guys, but he makes his team win. He took over a #1D position as a rookie on a playoff team. None of the other kids actually achieved anything nearly as important in terms of contributing to the success of their team.

Patccmoi is online now   Reply With Quote