Old
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
mattski93
Poo Brain

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
A shame he couldn't play in the U-18, I've read some less then flattering things about the state of hockey in Britain.

Do you think Venus has a chance of getting drafted? It's very rare to see someone that young put up decent numbers in a pro league, even if it is comparatively low-level. I'm sure he could have a spot on a major junior team if he wanted to come over.
The excuse was that he "didn't fit into the overall game plan of the U18s", which is laughable. With him in the lineup, they may not get relegated (though I suspect not even his skill can make up for the terrible coaching and discipline). Supposedly the coaching team for the U18s didn't even realise he was playing Elite hockey and only took in the fact that he (rightfully) hasn't even bothered playing junior hockey this year.

I'm not sure. Britain is absolutely a hockey backwater when it comes to infrastructure and governance and so you can see why it doesn't get scouted, but the talent comnig through is improving all the time and kids are becoming more and more ambitious; I can see Ross putting himself in a shop window. He needs to move abroad for his own development's sake this or next summer. You just have to hope Robert Farmer hasn't rubbed off on him and discouraged him from moving to North America, but unlike Farmer Venus seems to be willing to put in the hard work. Is he worth a spot? Absolutely. Do I think he'll get one? 50/50 at best.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote