Old
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, for starters, we wouldn't have gone into camp with Boucher and Bob... it's kind of remarkable that you'd assume we wouldn't have been able to land anyone. Hell, we would have been in a position to go after Niemi.
I'm not saying the Flyers wouldn't have signed anyone if they waited on Leighton, I'm just saying that could have been the result. If the Flyers waited until free agency, I'm not sure what their top dollar would have been, and I don't know what other team's top dollars would have been. I doubt the Flyers would have offered Niemi $2 million since that is what they offered Turco. They probably could have matched Mason at $1.85, but would Atlanta have upped their offer? Same thing with Ellis. Maybe they could have gotten Turco too if they waited a little longer, but I'd rather have Leighton than have all of these guys sign and Leighton sign somewhere else.

The point is that everyone acts as if the Flyers could have had any goalie they wanted and they "foolishly" chose Leighton, when the fact of the matter is that they offered money to the two best goalies out there and got turned down. There was no reason to believe that it would be different had they waited until free agency. I know there were reports in the media that it was a thin market or whatever, but as a GM, are you going to take the media's word over the word of the two best goalies out there? It turns out Turco and Nabby were not good indicators of the market, but from a GM standpoint, do you really want to risk having no goalie because there are reports in the media that it is going to be a slow year in the goalie market?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote