View Single Post
Old
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Only as long as the league wants to make it. My point is that we've been told for a couple decades now that the only thing preventing the NHL from competing for a massive national broadcast contract is the lack of a national footprint. These things take time, we were told. So is the culmination of the master plan--- $200 MM in the US? For an entire decade? No one expects the NHL's value or ratings to increase significantly for TEN yrs?

Please keep in mind that there are six teams in Canada, as you know, and the NHL has two national contracts there (excluding RDS) that are valued for almost the same amount of money per annum.

I fail to see this as some great moral victory.

Yes, but.... The Wings are getting $30 MM for their regional broadcast rights. One team and they receive 1/6th-ish of what the entire NHL can muster in the US.

More importantly though, when the FSD contract was negotiated, did they figure on being able to carry playoff games in their region? Just think how pissed off you would be if you'd paid for those rights only to have the league come and pull the rug out from under you. They have the first round available to them, unless NBC claims one of those games (which they always do) and then they're done. Second round and on all goes to the national rights holder.
I agree. When it comes to TV, the NHL is fledgling. They're coming off a terrible monetary deal with NBC and now suddenly have all this interest in the sport. I don't see the need to give away 10 years.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote